Sunday, June 17, 2007

Possibilities

Well, I never thought I would really do it, but I did! I made it to my two year anniversary with my work. I still miss my area that I came from and I miss the Dallas area as well, but I honestly would say it has been the best opportunity that I could have wanted in terms of learning and feeling like I make a difference.

Work is still work. Controlled by deadlines and a neverending change of attitude from my superiors on the policies, but it's had it's downs and its ups. Now that I'm pretty much considered the grandpa in the group I'm facing two new obstacles: advancing to the next level and accountability of my employer. The new problem is I guess I'm mired in my work and am hesitant to say, but am somewhat discouraged at times. There have been issues at work that everyone works with, mainly budget and space. To keep the story short, I just feel like I am seeing some obvious things lately such as the inequality of work spaces and the inequalities with other departments.

It's not the big thing, the big thing is that the past two months have been really tough in the amount of work we have been having. I noticed a change in myself and didn't like it.

I've been told that my perception around the workplace has changed which is understandable. I agree.....When I first started I was a happy-go-lucky, help anybody out, general goody too shoes. In the time between, I've seen that "too positive" attitude bring me into issues that my area of work doesn't come close, but that because I've found answers and given results, I feel that my generosity has made those whom I wanted to help an easy out to just transfer the issue to me. So now, that I'm taking on added responsibilities I've gotta politely get myself out of the mix. It's tough......I know I didn't like myself, I am working on it, but I have got to begin to politely say, "NO".

Although, such is life, it is also with a career and I'm moving up. I'm excited about the possibilities, but am worried if our department will be able to do some of the things that I think we can and want to do, just that we need more people and money to do the things we want to do after we do the things we have to do.

All I try to do now is pray every morning, noon, and night and just work on it. Work on what? All of it, all parts of my life now, but that's for another post.

Laters,
Urban P.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home