Thursday, September 16, 2004

Getting to the Meat of It!

Ok, I must be getting lazy. Today's history is here and here.

Tomorrow is my secondary interview with another job opportunity. I guess it's still quite far away until I start getting in 'preparation mode' sometime tomorrow morning.

For those I'm helping with the computers. UPDATE your anti-virus and anti-spamware. There's a bunch of new stuff out.

Now, I've been kinda racking my brain at some influential planners from 1978 to now. Off the top of my head are Andreas Duany and Elizabeth Plater-Zybeck (New Urbanism Fame), but I really could not name many more. I guess that just shows my inexperience at reading the materials and knowings of things in urban plannning. I could name some others, but they're mostly off of my textbooks I read during my learning career. I do think the team above would work; unfortunately, I don't necessarily agree with their work either, but hey some of the people already listed on that top 25 list had some pretty outlandish ideas. In actuality my mind mainly leans toward architects. Yes, architect whom help shape individual lots within a city, but the architects I have actually read about and have opinions on, have large thoughts of larger cities and directionality. Here's some people on my list: Michael Graves, Lake Flato, Frank O.Gehry, and Robert A.M. Stern. My favorites being Graves, Flato, and Stern. It might also be because some do master planning as well. Urban planning and master planning, similar, just scale differences with complicability mixed in with the differential of scale.

Enough of planning now. Stuff like that at time seems moot since the discussions really have no end. As a professor put to my Urban Planning Class: What is the Planners role in city and society? Are we to be servants of the public? Should we do what they want us to do or should we tell them what they need? Mostly what I could figure in the plethora of hours discussed is that it is a little of a little bit of everything. In other words, planning is an art and a science, much like the rest of the world's jobs. Discuss that amongst yourselves!

Gotta go.
Laters,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home