Monday, October 04, 2004

Gooooooooooooo........

Congradulations to the team at Scaled Composites for their winning the X-Prise with Space Ship One! In my book, Burt Rutan(also designed first airplane to fly around the world non-stop, Voyager) is as much an aeronautical genius as Kelly Johnson (designed the U-2 and SR-71).

On a sad note, we lost Leroy Gordon "Gordo" Cooper today. He was one of the original Mercury astronauts and the last of the Mercury astronauts to fly into space, excluding Deke Slayton. (played by Dennis Quaid in The Right Stuff)

My wife and I got back today from visiting my parents in Dallas earlier this evening. We decided since there was a family get-together yesterday afternoon that we'd take the extra day and take our time and not be rushed at least once. We also celebrated my upcoming birthday with my family on Saturday night.

Spending the weekend there was good. It rained most of the time, which was nice since we haven't seen rain in over a month. Although, the weekend maintained the conversation of the status of my job search in sparse discussions here and there. All in all I was just sad. It's close to my birthday and I didn't like feeling like this especially near such a happy occasion.

So tonight when we got home. I contacted one of our family's oldest friends to kinda "dust off" the rust on the interviewing tips and techniques he taught me about three years ago. We talked for about an hour and a half. Boy did he really help me. Not so much a new things, but reminding me about experience, insights, and positives and how to bring it across. Most of all he reminded me of what I REALLY had to offer and what I have accomplished, just that I have to polish up a bit more. It definately helps to hear that again, and confidence in myself knowing that I have the qualifications to do the work, I just really have to let them know that in a better way.

While relegating that information to my parents, my uncle called and again while talking to my parents again, my other parents called. To make a long story short. I spend from about 7:30 til about 11:30 on the phone. I came into my office and get online so that I don't have to talk on the phone. My ears are kinda sore. It was really nice to talk to everyone, but I began to wonder if they had all choreographed this with each other. I had to sneak in my Tombstone pizza dinner in the 5 minutes between phone calls.

Well, this week is mainly aimed at continuing my job search and working on trying to really work on this job opportunity in limbo up til the end of the APA planning conference. Which also reminds me to work on my resume and take names to meet more contacts at the convention.

I heard back, today, from my mentors and other friends whom I'd asked questions on Friday. Mainly, the suprise is that the planning job market in Texas is tougher than I thought and the possibility of getting a job this soon after graduation (May) is good. They all said that the normal time is 9 to 12 months. Well, maybe I can buck the trend. We will see, Lord willing.

I'm gonna go for now. I'm really tired. I didn't sleep as well at home, especially since my parents got rid of my bed to replace it with a smaller bed about a year and a half ago. Since this home is home, just home is not same with out that trundle bed.

Laters,

P.S. Tomorrow's my birthday. I may not go full guns until Wednesday.

Night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home